Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Nelly Girl

Hopefully writing about my Nelly will help me feel better...

Nelly passed away Monday in my arms.  She had been diagnosed with a slight heart murmur a few months ago, to which there is no treatment for a dog.  In most cases, it leads to congestive heart failure.  It can take anywhere from 2 days to four years for a dog to pass from this problem.  Unfortunately, Nelly was "most cases".  Saturday night she started breathing very loud and raspy.  Not panting, and not like there was anything caught in her throat, just very weird breathing.  I had also been noticing her eating less, being more grouchy, and coughing a lot.  Rian decided to take her into the emergency vet.  She was in heart failure.  Her heart was not pumping hard enough to make her lungs work as well, and fluid started building up in the lungs.  The vet could give us medicine to make her life last a bit longer, but there was no guarantee for how long.  Rian decided to bring her home that night and let us have one more day with her Sunday.  We cuddled and loved on her all day.  Monday was the hardest day I have ever had to go through, but it was the right choice.  I was holding her and she went very peacefully. 

With Rian traveling so much, I had no idea how much I rely on my dogs.  I have noticed how much more lonely I am and I am struggling with that.  She was also mainly "my" dog.  She was VERY loyal to me, and I was her Number 1.  Anyone that met Nelly, knew where I stood with her.  I miss my constant shadow and am even sad when I go potty and she is not sitting there staring at me. 

With that, here are some of my favorite pictures on my Nelly girl.

4 comments:

J, B, O, J & Z said...

Sweet Nelly! You'll be missed. Jenn, I'm sorry you are going through this. You all are in my thoughts.

Amanda said...

Jenn my thoughts are with you!! They just never stay as long as we would like them to :(

Baby Mama said...

so so sorry for your loss!

Ms. E said...

There is NO love like the unconditional love of a fur baby. The fact that she got to pass on into her next life being held in your arms is something even humans don't always get to do. You are a wonderful fur mama.