Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thoughts on Bed Rest

I did have to go on strict bed rest almost two weeks ago. I had another (third) pre-term labor scare. This one landed me in the hospital for two nights and three days. I had to take a LOT of meds to stop contractions and get steroid injections in case the babes did come early. This way their lungs, heart and brain would be protected. While in the hospital, I got an ultrasound from the perinatologist (the preemie doctor basically). There was a certain level of concern because the smaller baby boy didn't have as much fluid around him as the bigger guy. Because of all these things adding up, I was put on strict bed rest. Staying in bed or my recliner most of the day, getting up to go to the bathroom, shower and walk around to make sure my circulation stays flowing.

We did get a follow-up this week and the fluid looked better, so the bed rest is working. But that doesn't mean I get to go off of it anytime soon. I get checked every week from here on out.

But... There are definite plusses and minuses to bed rest. Here they are:

1. It isn't as fun as it sounds. Everyone says "oh you get to watch tv all day and stay in bed!". It's good for about two days and then you have to practically beg your husband to drive you somewhere so you can get a view of the outside world that isn't from your bedroom window. Also, there are many hours during the day that there is nothing on tv. I have to rely on DVR during those times. I am starting to run low.

2. You are alone a lot. Rian goes to work, Cameron goes to my Mom and Dad's and to preschool (just started this week at our church). He wasn't going to start until fall, but they found out our situation and bumped him in! I do have a permanent little heating pad with my dog Nelly, she WILL NOT leave my side.

3. You gain weight faster. I have been very good about my weight gain, but the past two weeks I have gained a lot more. No where to go to burn it off I guess!

4. If you push it too hard one day, you are out of commission for almost two days after that. By pushing it too hard I mean, going to the doctor and dropping Cameron off at school. Tonight I am out of commission. I do not even have enough energy to go downstairs and get Cameron a glass of water.

5. You realize how valuable your husband and mom are. They have done everything for me. Everything. If I asked them to wipe me, they would. Of course they would tease me about it, but they would.

6. Cameron gives me a lot more kisses and hugs. I love it.

7. Rian got me a new iPhone. I play "Words with Friends" all day with about 10 different friends, family members and old students. That helps keep my brain going!

8. Texting is different than calling (ie. Communicating). Now most of you know I love a good text conversation. But...when you are scared and emotional and worried almost every time you stand up that your water might break, an actual phone call once in a while means a lot more than a text. Also, you can text me a thousand times that "I can call for anything." But the ones that mean the most are the "down to business texts and calls." For example, my mom called and said, "I am coming over to clean the bathrooms today, unlock your door.". Or Whitney called and said, "I am going to bring you Noodles for lunch. What do you want?". That means more because I don't have to think about it and it takes the pressure off.

9. Bed rest is a more serious situation than many people think. Read up on it before you say to me some asinine comments about it being fun and that myself and the babies are so big that if they did come now, they would be fine. Yeah, fine. After weeks in the NICU because even though they are big, they aren't fully developed. I do not want babies in a NICU if I can avoid it. You shouldn't either, because you won't get to see them for a long time.

Can you tell I had a bad day?

There is an end in sight. The babies will be here April 27th as long as the amniocentesis on the 26th shows that their lungs are mature. This means they will be delivered at 36 weeks and 2 days which makes me nervous, but I trust my doctor and the perinatologist whole heartedly.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Amanda said...

My thoughts are with you during bed rest. I saw how horrible it was for Kortney to be stuck in the hospital on bed rest, and I was only there a day before she had the babies.

Kortney said...

Yes bedrest does suck and I only made it for 10 days. Not to mention the restlessness and the inability to sleep and relax. I'm glad you have friends and family close by to help you out and bring you food. I hope the babies are doing good and you can make it much longer. As much as bedrest sucks the NICU is worse...

Anonymous said...

Six excruciating weeks of strict bedrest here (one in the hospital)! Strict bedrest meaning I could only be in a standing or sitting position for an hour and a half every day (so basically bathroom breaks since I was HUGE and drank about 300 ounces of water a day), and had to be laying with my cervix tilted up for the other 22.5 hours. Super comfortable. =)

Thankfully I had amazing friends and family who came over and kept me company almost on a daily basis (my mom actually lived with us for those 6 weeks), or I would have gone insane. But, I think of the alternative, which would have meant that our boys were born at 24 weeks, which would have literally been life or death...

And I think of my time on bedrest, and every single one of those 42 days was worth it. The restless leg syndrome, the constant cramping, the loneliness, the helplessness, all of it - was worth it. And our kiddos still spent 6 and 7 weeks in the NICU. Still...worth it.

You'll get through this Jen, and you'll be surprised in a year, or so, when you *wish* you could have a day - or five of bedrest just to...rest.

Hugs, buddy. You CAN do this.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Kerry, you can do this! I'm just catching up that you got put on strict bed rest. Are you up to a visit from some babies? We'd love to come bring you lunch!

You keep cooking those babies!